2017 Top Ten Best Fiction for Young Adults
- Berry, Julie. The Passion of Dolssa. Viking Books for Young Readers. 2016. In thirteenth-century Provence, Dolssa, branded a heretic after claiming to speak with God, flees her hometown.
- Chee, Traci. The Reader. G.P. Putnam’s Sons Books for Young Readers. 2016. With overlapping stories of swashbuckling pirates and merciless assassins, this stunning series opener introduces a world where reading is unheard of and a young orphan struggles to discover her family’s secrets.
- Hardinge, Frances. The Lie Tree. Harry N. Abrams. 2016. In 1868, Faith’s father is providing expertise at an archaeological dig, and when his body is found, most assume suicide amid the allegations of falsified discoveries. Only Faith suspects murder.
- McGinnis, Mindy. The Female of the Species. Katherine Tegen Books. 2016. The social hierarchy of a small-town high school is revealed through the voices of Alex, Jack, and Peekay
- Medina, Meg. Burn Baby Burn. Candlewick. 2016. Nora López graduates from her Queens, New York, high school in the summer of 1977–a summer marked by a heat wave, arson, and the Son of Sam murders.
- Reynolds, Jason. Ghost. Atheneum/Caitlyn Dlouhy Books. 2016. His dad shot a gun at him, and “Ghost” Crenshaw has been running ever since.
- Sepetys, Ruta. Salt to the Sea. Philomel Books. 2016. It’s near the end of WWII and four refugees travel on foot during January to board the Wilhelm Gustloff, a ship bound for safety.
- Shusterman, Neal. Scythe. Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers. 2016. In a distant future in which humanity has practically conquered death, the population is controlled by Scythes, the only beings capable of causing death
- Yoon, Nicola. The Sun is Also a Star. Delacorte Press. 2016. Daniel decides to let fate dictate his life and NaTasha doesn’t believe in fate. But today, NaTasha will believe in anything if it allows her to avoid deportation.
- Zentner, Jeff. The Serpent King. Crown Books for Young Readers. 2016. One is the son of a snake-handling preacher serving time in prison. One is a fashionista with New York dreams.