Jobs at APL
Occasionally the Allentown Public Library seeks reliable, responsible, and motivated people to add to its staff.
If you are interested in applying for a position you will need to provide a cover letter, resume, and references. Any potential employee must receive a clean background check before being offered a position.
JOB#0109072023 District Consultant Librarian (Full-Time)
The Allentown Public Library is seeking a full-time (35 hours per week) District Consultant. The ideal candidate will be an experienced librarian with excellent interpersonal skills, a commitment to customer service, a thorough understanding of library operations, and an extensive awareness of community need. Applicants should be enthusiastic, flexible, and friendly and excel at diplomacy, conflict resolution, and developing and delivering training for library personnel at all levels.
- Providing expert advisory services to trustees in library operations, strategic planning, advocacy and administration
- Aid local libraries with the completion and submission of state and/or federal documents, including but not limited to annual reports, grant applications, and other forms as required
- Connecting local libraries to state services by serving as a liaison to the Office of Commonwealth Libraries
- Coordinate and continuing education opportunities for library leaders, staff and trustees
- Supervising the maintenance and development of professional collections
- Assist in the management of intra-library delivery within the District
- Developing and maintaining community partnerships
- Working with the Outreach Coordinator to increase community engagement and provide service to local schools, preschools, and day care centers
- Working with the Bureau of Library Development to disseminate information and provide continuing education opportunities to local libraries
This position includes evening and weekend hours. Also included are paid holidays, generous allowances for personal and vacation time, excellent health and retirement benefits and the option of employee-paid eye and dental benefits. Salary range for this position is $56K to $62K for MLS degree holders, based on qualifications and experience.
Ideal Candidate should possess:
- An ALA accredited MLIS in Library Science/Information Science
- A commitment to excellence and a professional and positive manner
- Experience working with children, young adults and families
- Honed supervisory and problem solving skills, including supervision of MLS peers
- A thorough knowledge of library practices, children’s literature and experience in children’s programming
- Ability to work cooperatively, courteously, accurately and constructively with customers, coworkers, other departments, and community partners
- Second Language, preferably Spanish, is a plus.
In accordance with PA Department of Human Services guidelines, all prospective employees must be able to provide following documents before starting employment. Once employed, all employees are required to submit updated copies of each document every sixty (60) months:
- PA State Criminal Record Check (Section 1-111 of the Pennsylvania School Code – Act 34)
- Child Abuse Clearance (Sections 6354-6358 of the Public Welfare Code – Act 151)
- FBI Federal Criminal Background Check
How to Apply to an open position
You can apply in writing or via Email.
Allentown Public Library
Job #/Job Title
1210 Hamilton Street
Allentown, PA 18102
Please include the JOB# and Job Title on the front of the mailing envelope.
Please include the JOB# and Job Title in the subject line of all email.
No telephone or in-person inquiries please.