The Interlibrary Loan service is for Allentown Public Library resident cardholders only. We must be your home library. If the item you are looking for is not available within the Lehigh Valley Library System, we will try requesting it for you from another library.
What you need to know
- The average request is fulfilled within 2-3 weeks, but some requests can take longer.
- Books published within the last 12 months are not available for Interlibrary Loan.
- Textbooks cannot be requested through Interlibrary Loan.
- Loan periods and renewals are determined by the lending library. Renewals may be requested prior to the due date in person at the Reference Desk, by phone (610-820-2400 x2), or by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Borrowers are responsible for material and subject to overdue charges of $0.20 per day. Damaged or lost items must be paid for at the cost charged by the lending library.
- Although most interlibrary loan transactions are free to the user, a limited number of lending libraries may charge a fee which will be passed on to the borrower. You may stipulate in advance whether you are willing to pay a fee, and how much.
- Once an Interlibrary Loan item arrives to the Allentown Public Library, the patron will be notified by phone or email.
- Patrons have 4 days to pick up an Interlibrary Loan item. If the item is not picked up, the patron will be charged $1.00.
- Patrons who fail to return Interlibrary Loan items to the Allentown Public Library will lose their Interlibrary Loan borrowing privileges.
- There is a limit of 3 active interlibrary loan requests at any one time.
- Please make sure you have NO outstanding fines on your Allentown Public Library card account prior to requesting an Interlibrary loan.