Employment at APL
Occasionally the Allentown Public Library seeks reliable, responsible, and motivated people to add to its staff. The following employment opportunities are currently available. If you are interested in applying for a position listed below, please send a cover letter, resume, and references. Any potential employee must receive a clean background check before being offered a position.
Job #20210924 : Head of Children Services Librarian (Full Time)
The Allentown Public Library is seeking a full-time (35 hours per week) Head of Children Services Librarian. This Department Head will work with the library staff to create opportunities to engage the community and build relationships with community partners.
The Allentown Public Library’s mission is to serve everyone, connecting the public to life-long learning experiences and open access to resources. We are a community hub for cultural enrichment.
This position requires flexibility, an aptitude for collaboration, excellent communication skills and the ability to identify priorities. In order to fulfill APL’s mission, we require a professional with a positive attitude, enthusiasm, and excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills.
- The position includes some evening and weekend (Saturday) hours. Also included are paid holidays, generous allowances for personal and vacation time, excellent health and retirement benefits and the option of employee-paid eye and dental benefits. Salary range for this position is $50K to $55K for MLS degree holders, based on qualifications and experience.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Directs and supervises the operations of the children’s library services; makes assignments to staff; trains and evaluates staff.
- Coordinates children’s operations with other library departments and functions, develops programs and services to meet specific needs of children
- Evaluates materials and services and assists in the selection of materials for library acquisition
- Provides reference service to children and teachers and provides reader’s advisory
- Works with the District Consultant Librarian and the Bureau of Library Development to disseminate information and provide continuing education opportunities to local libraries
- An ALA accredited MLS in Library Science/Information Science
- Minimum of 3 years experience working with children and young adults
- Demonstrates supervisory skills
- Behaves in a professional manner
- Actively cooperates and works effectively with others, promotes teamwork, shares information and works to resolve conflicts
In accordance with PA Department of Human Services guidelines, all prospective employees must be able to provide following documents before starting employment. Once employed, all employees are required to submit updated copies of each document every sixty (60) months:
- PA State Criminal Record Check (Section 1-111 of the Pennsylvania School Code – Act 34)
- Child Abuse Clearance (Sections 6354-6358 of the Public Welfare Code – Act 151)
- FBI Federal Criminal Background Check
Applications received by September 24 will receive priority.
How to Apply
Allentown Public Library
Job #/Job Title
1210 Hamilton Street
Allentown, PA 18102
Please include the JOB# and Job Title in the subject line of all email, or on the front of the mailing envelope.
No telephone inquiries please.