Occasionally the Allentown Public Library seeks reliable, responsible, and motivated people to add to its staff. The following employment opportunities are currently available. If you are interested in applying for any of the positions listed below, please send a cover letter, resume, and references. Any potential employee must receive a clean background check before being offered a position.
– In Writing:
Allentown Public Library
Job #/Job Title
1210 Hamilton Street
Allentown, PA 18102
– Via Email:
Please include the JOB # and Job Title in the subject line of all emails, or on the front of all envelopes.
No telephone inquiries please.
– Current available positions:
JOB#4241402: Reference Librarian (Part-Time)
This position is approximately 16 hours per week. A Reference Librarian (PT) will provide reference services to the community by filling requests for information, offering reader’s advisory, and assisting in the use of library materials, computer equipment and network resources. This position includes some night and weekend (Saturday) hours.
The Ideal Candidate should possess:
- Master of Library Science/Information Science Degree (preferably from an ALA accredited institution) or a B.S./B.A. from a four-year accredited college/university and library coursework or experience.
- Experience in customer service/working with a diverse population
- Knowledge of both traditional and electronic reference and user services, including but not limited to online reference services, electronic databases, and integrated library software systems, especially Innovative Interfaces Inc.’s Millennium
- Second Language, preferably Spanish, is a plus
In accordance with PA Department of Human Services guidelines, all prospective employees must be able to provide following documents before starting employment. Once employed, all employees are required to submit updated copies of each document every three (3) years:
- PA State Criminal Record Check(Section 1-111 of the Pennsylvania School Code – Act 34)
- Child Abuse Clearance(Sections 6354-6358 of the Public Welfare Code – Act 151)
- FBI Federal Criminal Background – To initiate this background check, applicants must register online at https://www.pa.cogentid.com/index_pde.htm under the PA Department of Education. No other agency registration, such as the Department of Welfare, will be accepted.
Deadline to apply is September 1, 2017