The Allentown Public Library offers a number of services to aid in your genealogical or local history research.
- Ancestry.com is available to be used from a desktop or mobile device within the library.
- Heritage Quest is available from the library or remotely.
- Much of our Local History Room is searchable via our catalog. Be sure to use the drop down menu to limit your search to “Allentown Public Library Local History”
- The obituaries for the run of Morning Call newspapers have been indexed through the years 1895-1984.
- The entire issue of the Morning Call from 1984 through present day has been digitized and available online through our NewsBank service.
- Some other libraries have also indexed some of the obituaries from local papers. Please check Bethlehem’s and Easton’s index pages if you cannot locate an obituary in the Morning Call.
If your question cannot be answered online and you cannot make it into the library yourself, we offer librarian conducted research assistance.
Our fee for archival research is $5.00 for each individual search, which includes the cost of photocopying. Requests for searches must be specific as to names, dates, etc. Your results can be mailed, faxed, or scanned to an e-mail address upon receipt of payment. When requesting a copy via mail, please include a self-addressed, stamped envelope along with your payment. A check or money order for the non-refundable fee should be made out to “Allentown Public Library” and sent to our mailing address:
Allentown Public Library
1210 Hamilton St
Allentown Pa, 18102